We are committed to providing a high quality Insurance Service to all our Clients. If something goes wrong we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards.
Our complaints procedure
If you are unhappy with any part of our service, please let us know about it either by telephone or in writing. You should contact the Complaints Officer.
Telephone from the UK: 020 7481 4321 | International: +44 20 7481 4321
Fax from the UK: 020 7481 4223 | International: +44 20 7481 4223
Any complaint by telephone should be followed up in writing.
If the complaint is by telephone only, the Complaints Officer may respond immediately. If they are unable to resolve the matter immediately, then the following steps will be taken.
What will happen next?
- We will send you a letter acknowledging your complaint and asking you (if relevant) to confirm or explain the details. You can expect to receive our letter within 5 working days of our receipt of your complaint.
- We will record your complaint in our Complaints Register and issue a unique reference which will be used in all correspondence with you. We will also open a file for your complaint.
- We will then investigate your complaint; this may involve one of the following steps:
- We will deal with your complaint at the earliest possible opportunity and in any case we will let you have a final written response within 20 working days of receipt of the complaint.
- If, however, the complaint is sufficiently complicated to warrant longer investigation, or for reasons outside our control we have been unable to complete our investigation, you will be advised accordingly with the reasons for the delay and when you can expect to receive our final response.
In the case of private Clients and Micro Enterprises¹ (enterprises with less than 10 employees, a turnover/annual balance of less than €2 million or a charity with an annual income of less than £1 million) you have the right to refer the matter to The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), to which we subscribe, at any time during the Complaints Procedure or within 6 months (maximum) of the date of our final written response. Contact details are as follows:
The Financial Ombudsman Service
South Quay Plaza, 183 Marsh Wall, London E14 9SR
Telephone from the UK: 0800 023 4567 | International: +44 20 7964 0500
If you take your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), they may wish to have access to the files that we hold in relation to your insurances. Unless you request otherwise in writing, if we are requested by FOS to provide any such files to them, we will pass on such files without further reference to you.
We will remind you when the 6 month period has begun.
If we receive a complaint which does not relate to the General Insurance Product or the General Insurance Activity related service that we have provided, or should more appropriately be referred to a different Company or Organisation, we will advise you in writing within 5 working days of receipt of the complaint and, where possible, provide details of where the complaint should be re‑directed.
¹ any person engaged in an economic activity, irrespective of legal form and including, in particular, self employed persons or family businesses engaged in craft and other activities, and partnerships and associations regularly engaged in economic activity. N.B. Where an enterprise forms part of a group that does not meet the criteria stated, the right to refer is withdrawn.